Sunday, March 06, 2016

The End Is Nigh....

Of my degree course that is, and it's been a fair old slog. I started my degree back in 2011 with a 15 taster module on the arts, a module which I later discounted for scoring purposes so in reality it just gave me 3 months of extra work and essays.

Now 5 years on I can almost see the finish line, I've two TMAs and the last ever EMA to do, and barring major mishaps I'll be able to wear a silly hat and cloak and receive a piece of rolled up paper with a ribbon round it. Woo and yay.



At the mid-point of my studies I was seriously considering taking a second degree in Cultural & Heritage Studies with Leeds University, but the changes in funding brought about the Tories and their spineless Liberal pals put an end to that thought, and to be honest, I feel like I'm running out of steam a bit as I near the end. 5 years of sacrificing days off and evenings to study has been a long time, I'd like some of my free time back, I'd like to take up hiking again, and perhaps going to the cinema, or spend more time with my wife, you know, just normal stuff.

The TMA we're currently slogging towards is a comparison piece taking the text of a music review and a text of our own choosing and looking for literary creativeness and worth in the two. The final EMA is a very similar project, except for that we have to choose both texts with one being ordinary / everyday and the other literary. I'm currently analysing Marillion's Grendel every which way to seek out evidence of creativity and worth, I hope I don't end up hating something I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment