Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Who To Work For ?

English: My own photo
As I look around for a new job, and hopefully a new career path to go with it, I have been considering which might be good employers to work for.

Every week we get a wine delivery from Majestic Wines, and almost every week the wine is delivered by a different driver.  Each week we also receive a delivery from Black Sheep Brewery, the brewery seem to have only two different delivery teams.  There may be issues of company size at play here, but Majestic's constantly changing staff rota doesn't hold the promise of staff who are contented with their lot.

I shop at Tesco three or four times a week, something else that will son change when I'm not shopping for a small business any more, often enough so that I know most of the checkout staff to talk to.  Many of the people working in store in Tesco Ilkley have worked there for years, I see the same people stocking the shelves, staffing the fresh counters and working the tills year after year.  It might be argued then that people find Tesco to be a decent employer.

I am looking for a move away from catering.  I have been thinking about what I would like to do, one of the very best parts of my job has been working with my young staff, always bright and cheerful, happy and entertaining.  With that in mind I'm having a look around in the education sector for customer relations types jobs.  I have also been looking at various charities, not perhaps at the front line of fundraising, but again in customer relations/care.

If any of my select readership have any leads for me, answers on a postcard to the usual address....
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Blimey - didn't know that was happening. Fingers crossed for finding the right thing.

    Possibly weird suggestion - have you considered looking at things like Careers service or Probation service?

    I know recruitment in general is horribly sales-driven, but potentially providing advice to young'uns, school leavers, etc.? I don't know, but it seems like a good idea. Alternatively, if there's a youth counselling service round your way, that might be another option.

    And Probation service could be interesting - again, lots of potential frustrations too, but if you've got the ability to turn round (particularly young) ex-offenders etc., I can see that would be seriously satisfying.

    Just a couple of ideas, anyway. And again, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate, lots of good suggestions there, I'll have a look in to those.

    ReplyDelete