Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2012 Reading Challenge

I set myself a total of 120 books to read and managed 130.  I read a decent selection of books, and although I picked a few shortish ones to keep the numbers up I also managed some real tomes such as Joyce's Ulysses, a couple of Peter Hamilton sci-fi door stops, a handful of George RR Martin's medieval tits and slaughter A Song Of Ice And Fire series, plus Dawkin's The God Delusion and the book that inspired it, The Bible.

The books I enjoyed most last year, in no real order, were...

A History Of The World in 100 Objects - Dr. Neal McGregor

A Song of Ice and Fire (series)  - George R R Martin

Rivers of London (trilogy) - Ben Aaronovitch

Eat Him If You Like - Jean Teule

The Good Women Of China: Hidden Voices - Xinran

The New Rules - Bill Maher

The Burial At Thebes : Sophocles' Antigone - Seamus Heaney

South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition - Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton

The Passage - Justin Cronin

Religion For Atheists - Alain de Botton

I also had to read a lot of set books for my Open University modules, and nearly all the course books were interesting and well written.

I mentioned I read Ulysses, many people say this book is a classic, but you know, it's a huge and weighty tome, quite dull for hundreds of pages in a row, and you've probably got better things to do with your life.

Also, under no circumstances should Ellen Degeneres ever be allowed to publish books.  And if she does, you should never read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment