Thursday, January 27, 2011

I can walk

Back thigh muscles of the gluteal and posterio...Image via WikipediaWhich slightly surprises me.  After yesterday's huge run I thought I was going to be crippled today, I have some slight aches in my thighs, and the tendon pain in my left knee that has bothered me after every run this year is not present this morning.

Yesterday's slog was just under 11 miles, I didn't set off thinking I was going to do that distance, in my head I had decided that 8 miles would be a good target.  It was a cold still day, perfect for running or hiking and as I pottered up and down the lanes around Denton I just kept on going.  I must admit though that the last couple of miles were really hard work, I really had to push myself to keep going.

I had it in mind that before I went to South Africa, I would try a half marathon distance.  I didn't achieve that because I pulled something in the back of my left thigh when I was running up to White Wells which stopped my training dead for a couple of weeks, I only managed some very small runs in the whole of December.  The leg seems to be fine now though, I still have a slight pain in my right calf, but that can't be much to worry about if I can run over 10 miles on it without it flaring up.

My target then, a half marathon which I'll try to make time for before we go to Lanzarote in February.  I just need a few more training runs beforehand to keep improving my fitness level and build on my stamina.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry, it'll hurt tomorrow:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheery bugger. Doesn't feel too bad yet, in fact I've just done 6 miles on the rowing machine.

    ReplyDelete