Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Walking Yorkshire - Pen-Y-ghent

I don't know what you were doing yesterday, stuck at work in an office perhaps, or travelling along the motorway from job to job, but I've been stuck in the kitchen all summer and so when yesterday the weather was gloriously Autumnal I went up to Horton-In-Ribblesdale and walked up Pen-Y-Ghent.





Looking down from the path into Horton with the quarry behind it.





Genetically modified sheep, these sheep have had gene modification to turn them pink, at night they glow faintly which allows the shepherds to find their flock at night or in poor weather conditions.



Looking down from the summit of Pen-Y-Ghent across Dawson Close to Fountains Fell.



The path down the southern face of Pen-Y-Ghent is steep, really steep, so of course it is whilst I am precariously lowering myself down this section that my right foot decides its an opportune moment to engage in a long and painful cramp.



The scree/boulder field below the summit.



Looking down Ribblesdale with its patchwork of fields marked out by dry stone walls, I am truly blessed to live in this part of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you didn't go today - the weather's terrible!

    Pen-Y-Ghent is really stunning - but last time I went up there, it messed up my knee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Git. What a beautiful day to do it. I was stuck in the office. As always.
    Didn't even run home last night as was too tired from the weekends sport. So decided to run home tonight - and it'll be pishing it down. :(
    Nevermind - have the day off next tuesday and running the three peaks for training. Hope the weather holds, but it'll probably be grim.

    ReplyDelete