Thursday, October 08, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me

I havn't gone mad, my birthday was way back in July, but Mrs YS gave me a voucher to spend at Backcountry and I didn't get around to spending it until this week. None of my hiking gear really needs replacing, and there's nothing I desperately need, so I could spend it on things that I wanted, a new gadget for one.



A Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp took most of my birthday pennies. It's not something I really need as it is very rare that I am out on the hills very late in the day, but I did fancy one as a just in case measure. It has a pretty powerful beam which also doubles as a flashing warning beacon for if you should happen to get into difficulties.

The rest of my voucher I spent on the Harvey Map of the Dales Way, how good is this, I have already been replacing my battered set of OS maps with the new laminated versions, and now the map companies are going one better and printing maps on Polyethylene, incredibly lightweight, about one third of the bulk (and weight) of a laminate map, 100% waterproof (tested in the kitchen sink already), what a great idea, I hope the OS catch on and start putting their bulky laminate Active Map series onto this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment