Saturday, March 14, 2009

Google Opinion

I thought that when you searched for something on Google, the small piece of text displayed under the link was taken from the web page itself, is this the case, or do Google programmers adjust these as they see fit ?

When I searched for Sinn Fein, the text displayed below the link was this...."Irish republican party seeking to end British rule in Northern Ireland. Led by Gerry Adams. Considered to be the political arm of the IRA."

That may well be correct, but that last sentence sounds like opinion as opposed to something that Sinn Fein would say about themselves. Some days I don't know if I'm a healthy sceptic or a nervous paranoid.

2 comments:

  1. YS you’ve actually caught Google out it would appear! I’ve just had a good rummage through the source code and there is no Description meta data present. This doesn’t mean that the description Google is showing wasn’t picked up of a previous occasion, but it certainly does sound more like a personal opinion rather than a statement from a political entity about itself.

    But why were you Googling Sinn Fein in the first place?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading the speech that Gerry Adams had made about the recent murders in N.I.

    ReplyDelete