Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm A Self Righteous Twat

And I hope you are too.

"30,000 self-righteous twats who never heard the programme in the first place" - Angus Deayton moans about the people who moaned about Russell Brand and Jonathon Ross behaving like, well, twats really.

Angus Deayton is a clever and well educated man, and he really should think more carefully about his choice of words. There are many things in life that I want to stand up and complain about, but which I did not witness first hand. The ongoing catastrophe in Darfur for one, I havn't been there and seen people dying for myself, but I've seen it second hand in the news and I think it's a disgrace.

The ongoing catatrophe in Zimbabwe isn't any better either, again I have not witnessed Robert Mugabe's thugs destroying the country for myself, but I seen and heard and read the reports from numerous journalists and I am appalled. The same can be said for the massacres at Srebrenica and Sarajevo, the crushing of the democracy movement in Tianamen Square, the way our Labour Government lied and obfuscated in order to bring us into a war in the Middle East, I wasn't there, but I have the right to complain.

Of course Deayton isn't really saying this, the former Have I Got News For You presenter who was kicked out of his job for using cocaine and prostitutes is just keeping to line that pretty much all comedians seem to have toed after the 'prank' phone calls debacle. Comedians demand the right to be able to poke fun at anything, nothing is beyond the pale, there are to be no sacred cows.

Except other comedians obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment